Monday, May 30, 2011

Bad Gift Ideas for Smartphone Users

Yeah, I’ve said it before… you can’t go wrong buying your family and friends a gift for their smartphone. And really, you can’t... well, unless you count number six below. Where you can go wrong is buying a stupid gift under the “smartphone gift” category with the gift being a non functional POS. Am I confusing you? Well, let me spell out what not to buy. Unless, the person you’re buying for is extremely eclectic, weird or something similar. Here’s what not to buy smartphone users:

1. BlackBerry Stress Ball

I’ve been under extreme stress when on the phone with certain idiots. I am typically a very calm person, but some people or customer service rep will at times, make my blood boil. I have a very bad habit of tightening my hand around my beloved BlackBerry…. to the point where I’ve heard the housing creak. Not good. Ok, so now imagine me actually using a BlackBerry Stress Ball. I take out stress on the stress ball and sure enough, the next bad call I’m on, I will probably crack my real BlackBerry housing. If you want to buy a stress ball, I do not recommend it resemble your smartphone in any way, shape or form.

2. Smartphone Earrings

Seriously? Who would want to wear these things? Not only are they ugly… they’re just plain stupid. I have lots of earrings. But I draw the line at wearing smartphones, animals, insects, or any other weird thing. Just give me hoops, diamonds… you know, typical, ordinary earrings.

3. Smartphone Cozy

Wow. I don’t believe your smartphone could catch a chill without a cozy, even at the South Pole. Just searching for a signal, your phone generates its own warmth. Why on earth would you put a cozy on it? You’d be distracting from the beauty of it, so please, don’t use or buy someone a smartphone cozy.

4. BlackBerry for Dogs

Don’t enough dogs chew up our smartphones without having to get them a BlackBerry squeaky toy? I wonder how many people received replacement smartphones because their dog used it as a chew toy? I worked with a lady who didn’t have her new Palm Treo a week, before her dog took it off a table and marred it all up. Sure, get a dog a toy shaped like a smartphone and guess what? Your phone won’t last a week either. This is a very stupid gift idea.

5. Fake Phones

Why would anyone want to purchase a fake phone, unless you sold fake phones on ebay?
Would anyone walk around with a fake smartphone pretending to use it? Many real smartphones are pretty cheap these days, you don’t need a fake one.

6. Signal Booster

I have yet to meet anyone who swears by these things. I can only imagine they have a garbage rating if many sites give them away with the purchase of anything else.. If you must try one, then do so but I don’t recommend you give one as a gift. Doing so will show just how cheap you really are.

You will no doubt stumble across some of these as you’re online scouting the perfect smartphone accessory for you or someone you know. If you see any other gems, be sure to post a photo. I’m sure there are more brainy gift ideas out there that I missed.

While its not a smartphone related gift, I did see a beer holster while researching dumb gift ideas, but maybe we’ll save that for another forum. Although, now that I think of it, it might just come in handy so you have both hands free to text on your smartphone.

So get memory cards, awesome headphones, cases and apps. Whatever you do, just don’t buy the gift ideas pictured above for anyone you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment