Sunday, April 17, 2011

BlackBerry Strong

I’ve used many cell phones over the years. I’ve owned Palm Treos, Androids and the still out there, “do nothing” phones, or junk phones a buddy of mine calls them.

After researching phones for my daughter, I believe I am going to get her a BlackBerry.

She has owned several “fashionable” slider phones for the past few years and not one of them has lived up to her abuse. There are dead phone carcasses littering her room. I’ll admit, many kids are too young to own and care for a cell phone properly. There are times however that my daughter beats me home from school, and I don’t want her entering our house “alone”.

I’ve been known to drop my phone a time or two in the past. I put cases on them for this reason now. I once had an old Nokia that was literally covered in Duct and electrical tape. The housing didn’t fair well after the many falls onto a cement floor. I use my phone for almost everything. I am the proverbial Windows Mobile phone commercial - I am always using it for texting, making calls, appointments and lists, all while walking around. If it weren’t for the lists and memos I write myself, I would rarely drop my phone, because I typically edit them while I’m shopping or walking through a store. I now have one of those silly looking wrist straps attached to my BlackBerry (not that the strap is always around my wrist though).

I had to laugh when my sister-in-law recently replaced her Curve with a Bold. She said after the Curve took a joy ride on the roof of her SUV, it hit the pavement where it was then run over by a car. It didn’t look as pretty after its little “accident”, but it still worked. Try that with most other phones out there and I'm pretty certain they wouldn’t fair as well. Ok, don’t go out and try to run over your phones - regardless of the manufacturer, to prove it. Seriously.

So a BlackBerry it is for my daughter. No, not as a fashion statement or status symbol as my mother would quickly point out, but because its one tough phone. If it can withstand the abuse I take mine though, it might just make it a year in my daughter’s hands.

How about you? Have any smartphone “accidents” you care to share with us? Let us know!

Originally published as The Strength of BlackBerry 11/28/2010 at www.BlackBerryOS.com. Updated and re-published 02/04/2011 at www.Driphter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment