Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Ultimate Cell Phone Case

I’m sure a lot of you look online and in stores for the next best cell phone case. If you’re obsessive like me, you look often. I hate using a case that covers the beauty of my BlackBerry, but I do tend to drop my phone a lot. So I need a case, like it or not.

I really need an OtterBox, but I refuse to purchase one. Why you ask? Certainly they set the precedence in cell phone protection. I agree. However, until they make the little cutout in the back of the BlackBerry cases to show off the infamous BB, I refuse to buy one.

A few years back, I didn’t much care for company branding. If a product worked, I considered it worth buying. Something happened when I started owning smart phones however. If I spent a lot of money on a phone, I wanted people to know it. Yeah, sounds ridiculous I know.

When I saw my first iPhone sporting an OtterBox which clearly displayed the prominent Apple logo on the back of the phone, I wanted that case. I did not want an iPhone, just the case.

I was already familiar with OtterBox, so I knew it could withstand the abuse I could take out on it.

I was sadly disappointed to learn that OtterBox does not make a “customized” case for BlackBerry which displays the logo on the back. I emailed the company. Certainly I couldn’t be the only obsessive idiot that wanted one.

A friendly representative from the company emailed me back explaining that while they had several requests from other BlackBerry users for a similar case (so glad I wasn’t the only idiot), she saw nothing in the works in the near future for the manufacture of such a case. I felt compelled to write her back and explain that I would not be ordering an OtterBox until then.

Honestly, if OtterBox had not started the iPhone case logo issue, I would probably own one of their cases already. However, after seeing that they branded the case for Apple and not BlackBerry, kind of ticked me off. That’s the real reason I choose to boycott OtterBox.

Originally published 11/28/2010 at www.BlackBerryOS.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment