Monday, April 18, 2011

Does Your Smartphone Out-Smart You?

Who should own a smartphone? I ask this question because some of us wonder if everyone wielding a smartphone really knows how to operate one. Why have a smartphone if you don’t utilize the full potential of the device? Some come with a basic operator’s manual. Did you read it? I never read mine, but I can usually figure things out pretty quickly and I’ve owned smartphones before my Berry.

For a few years, I carried the all important Day Planner everywhere I went. I once left it behind in a store and thought my life was over. I frantically called every place I ever went to find it. After I got my first Palm Treo, the planner days were so over. I now carry everything in my smartphone. Sure enough, I did leave my smartphone at a bungalow when out house shopping one day, but my realtor picked it up and returned it to me.

I know people who own BlackBerries that have never backed it up and never used the memo feature. When I ask why, they simply say they either saw no need or didn’t know how. We’ve all seen forums plagued with people asking redundant questions hoping for an immediate answer to their issue. I wonder how many look their issue up online before submitting a question. Granted, it may be tough at times to find your exact issue in a forums search.

I told my buddy Newshutr that I understand the many questions from people changing out their OS for the first time… it can seem daunting even with directions. I was there once too. The word BRICK remains in the forefront of your brain until that final reboot and you see all your contacts again.

But others? Why own a smartphone if you don’t want to add apps, themes or change out the operating system? Go get yourself a nice little Nokia or something. They always have cute ringtones anyway. I think my first phone was a Nokia. I loved it and thought it was so cool. Now, I can’t function without a smartphone. It’s my shopping list, my to-do list (birthdays and Christmas too), it’s my calendar, my alarm, my navigation, my BBM and SMS contact to the world and at times, my music player. Lastly, it’s a phone. I actually make an occasional call on it from time to time, but not often really. If you hadn’t noticed, I prefer to type even though I’m told I have a great voice for radio work. BBM, email and SMS are my primary communication methods. I always tell people I know to email or SMS me… they will almost always get my voice mail if they call.

I’ve seen people on forums asking a lot of stupid questions. These are the very people I wonder about. Are they smart enough to own a smartphone? I’m sure you’ve all heard that the only stupid question is the one not asked. Nope. I don’t agree with that one bit. Trust me, I can find some pretty stupid questions out there. How about the person who asks “What’s the number beside the yellow envelope icon mean?” Really? If most humans don’t really know the answer to that, then we’re in serious trouble. If I never owned a smartphone, I think I could figure that one out.

If you don’t need appointment reminders, GPS, notes, applications or tweaking out the operating system, then don’t get a smartphone. The phone may outsmart you. Don’t get it because it’s a status symbol. Smartphones are not necessarily a status symbol anymore because manufacturers have really downsized these beasts over the past few years. Today, they're sleek and blend in with most other devices. My first Palm Treo was the 700W. I loved it. After a doctor saw it in my hand, he said “that looks like a lot more than a phone”. The phone was big and impressively scary looking. It was more than a phone. I was hooked.

If you’re not familiar with smartphones but still want one, do your homework first. Google the differences in operating systems, available applications, etc. Find one that impresses you, not your friends. Be prepared to do a lot of reading. Read lots of other forum questions to prepare yourself in the good versus bad. If you can’t figure something out with your smartphone, Google the problem. Chances are, the answer is out there somewhere. If not, then post your question. Forums are managed and frequented by knowledgeable people. They’ve been playing with smartphones for a long time. Try not to pester them with questions that are repeated by other users. If you can’t find your answer, I then encourage you to ask. These guys love helping, but I’m sure they get a little frustrated when people ask stupid questions… that common sense should answer.

If you can’t answer the “number beside the yellow envelope icon” question above, I would not suggest buying a smartphone.

Originally published on 04/16/2011 at www.driphter.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment