Sunday, April 17, 2011

Buying Guide For Your Berry Obsessed

Who hasn’t been stumped for ideas when buying a gift for co-workers, friends and loved ones over the years? Lets see, socks? Flannel shirt? Down vest? Whether you know someone well or barely at all, gift giving can be quiet tedious. You want to give a gift that shows you put a little thought into the purchase.

How about getting something for their phone? Who doesn’t like tricking out their phone? Ok, maybe my brother’s wife, but she’s a rarity these days. When the battle of the smartphones conversation comes up in my family (Android versus BlackBerry versus iPhone), she’s quick to say that she wants her phone to only do calls. Ha! I’ve learned that most people who say that have never wielded the power of a smartphone in their hands. Once you rely on a smartphone for a while, its pretty difficult to see life without one.

I’ll admit it (proudly I might add) that I am berry obsessed. I have been ever since my first smart phone and it wasn’t even a BlackBerry. I guess that would make me smartphone obsessive, but I’m into BlackBerries now.

Everyone must have a BlackBerry user on their shopping list this year or you wouldn’t be here reading this. Let me give you a few gift ideas that people often overlook. Considering the economy and the fact that we’re all trying to spend less on gifts, cell phone accessories are the perfect gift. BlackBerry accessories better still.

A BlackBerry gift is good in many ways. It tells your friends and loved ones, “Hey, I know you love your phone, here’s something to make it even better.” and it’s an inexpensive gift for the “Secret Santa” name you drew for the office party. It says, “I’m a cool gift giver by not getting you a Linens and Things or McDonalds gift card”, but in no way reflects too much bromance, if you happen to be purchasing a gift for one of your buddies.

So here are some gift suggestions, in no particular order:

Bigger media card - bigger is always better when it comes to storage. I for one like to use my BlackBerry for music - a lot of music. The standard 1 or 2 GB media card for BlackBerry just doesn’t cut it for me. It’s kind of like a gift tag on a present and stays with the box.

I am currently using an 8 GB card and that’s about two-thirds full. I will soon go into panic mode as my free space gets smaller. It’s kind of like a smoker who gets down to their last three cigarettes and they only have three bucks to their name or they seriously want to quit smoking. When they get to their last few smokes, the panic has already set in “What happens when I run out?!!” A BlackBerry user can never have too much storage space.

Headphones - While I’m on the topic of music, the avid music listener must have a primo set of headphones or ear buds. They work fabulously at the mall to drown out all those annoying kiosk vendors (for any reader that is actually one of those kiosk vendors, I do apologize and I feel horrible that you have such a job). When I’m on a mission however, I don’t like to be sidetracked and I certainly don’t have any money to buy whatever you’re selling. I don’t want your lotion, cheap sunglasses and hair irons. I have unruly curly hair, why on earth would I want to fight with a $150 hair straightener? The only kiosk I want to see at the mall is a Starbucks - that’s it, nothing else. I have a Starbucks gold card, I don’t need any cash to buy a coffee.

Ok, back to headphones. I personally have the RIM Premium multi-media headset. The sound quality is good and if I get an incoming call, I simply press a button on the inline remote to answer it. The headset is equipped with a mic so you can listen to music or take calls.

Bluetooth Headset - Many people prefer Bluetooth headsets over the plug in jack style mentioned above. I have the Motorola H500 (in pink of course), but I certainly don’t listen to music on it. Now if I can find a nice wireless stereo headset that plays music and takes calls.

iTunes Gift Card - Hey, more music, the better and the tunes can be synced to your BlackBerry.

Cases - There are hundreds if not thousands of cases to be had online. If you have to buy a girly gift, there are countless Hello Kitty and rhinestone cases you can get for little money. Body Glove makes a great case for any guy on your list (although I have one too). These cases reek executive and they feel good in your hands. You can even find water-proof cases for the fishing or beach-minded person on your list. Just don’t buy an OtterBox - BlackBerry users should be boycotting these until OtterBox starts making them with a BlackBerry logo cut out in the back.

Protective Skins - Several companies have cropped up over the past few years. These skins offer clear scratch guard protection which is a must-have if you ask me. I’ve tried most brands out there. My choice by far is BodyGuardz. Here’s why - I’ve purchased the other big name in Best Buy when I bought my last smart phone only because they didn’t carry BodyGuardz. Within 4 days, I noticed faint scuffing and scratches throughout the film.

I’ve had BodyGuardz previously and they never scratched. I used a stylus with a burr on the end with my Palm Treo 750w and 800 for over a year - not a scratch in sight. BodyGuardz are also cheaper than Invisible Shield. Your first order online nets you TWO complete skins for the price of one Invisible Shield. After your first order, every order you make thereafter (for the same or other devices) is several dollars cheaper - and you still get two full sets.

Wrist Strap - These come in handy if you’re in a very public spot where everyone is bumping into everyone else or when you’re simply walking through the store by your lonesome and carelessly drop your phone on the floor for no good reason like I seem to do, often.

There are a couple different types of straps out there - so investigate before you buy. I prefer the longer strap - I believe it’s the 7” strap. There are others out there which are 3 or 4”, which is great if you only want to loop it around one finger. I for one am way too careless to trust a one-finger-hold on my BlackBerry.

Chargers - Blackberry users only get one charger in the box (along with the sync cable which also charges) and if they are running OS 6, they could probably use another charger. You can find car chargers, bedside charging stands and charging mats.

I liked keeping a charger at the office (when I used to work anyway) because cell phone reception in a massive brick building can be hampered which equates to battery drain.

Speakers - I use to keep a nice little set of desktop speakers at work that I plugged into my phone so I could listed to my favorite music at work. I actually worked for a company that did not allow radios or streaming internet music in the office. They couldn’t say squat about my cell phone though, I needed it at work, ha!

Replacement Housing - For those looking to spend a few more dollars, you can purchase OEM housings. Maybe the person your buying for dropped their beloved BlackBerry - repeatedly and it’s a little scratched or cracked. A new OEM housing will make it look brand spanking new.

And then of course there are the colored housings. Not all BlackBerry models have a large assortment of colors available, which is a bummer. But if you’re lucky enough to find a color for the model you’re buying for… someone might get excited. I personally want a red or purple housing - maybe even white. With housing replacements, you can customize just the battery door cover, or the whole entire BlackBerry - even the keyboard! There are videos online that show you how to change the housing if it’s something you care to attempt.

So there you have it. I consider many of these things “must-haves” for BlackBerry users. The price range of these items range from about $4.00 up to about $70.00, so if you’re buying for someone you really don’t care for or know well, the out-of-pocket expense is not going to break you, and it still shows you’re a really cool person. If I think of other ideas along the way, I will pass them along. All items can be readily found online, but if you need assistance, just let me know.

Oh and if you see my Secret Santa anywhere, tell him I want a White Blackberry 9650 Housing with keyboard please.

Originally published 11/29/2010 at www.BlackBerryOS.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment